MDL Control Center facilitates the setup and operation of Mainframe Data Library, provides an efficient tape migration process and optimizes I/O performance.
Raleigh, NC – December 3, 2010 – DTS Software, Inc. announces the introduction of the MDL Control Center (MCC), a new product designed to meet the needs of enterprise data centers using Bus-Tech Corporation’s Mainframe Data Library (MDL) family of virtual tape systems.
- MDL Control Center includes five related components that provide a full range of features designed to help in providing smooth and efficient installation, operation, and exploitation of one or more MDLs.
- The MDL Management Director provides a robust and easy-to-use command and monitoring interface for the MDL. Commands and queries can be issued directly to the MDL via a graphical interface, ISPF/TSO, z/OS system consoles, batch jobs, and even via smartphone. The MDL Management Director Monitor includes an SNMP and channel interface to capture MDL events and to provide notifications via logs, messages, email, etc.
- The MDL Allocation Director ensures that tape mount requests are automatically directed to the proper MDL or non-MDL unit, eliminating the need for OAM or SMS- management of MDL tapes, and eliminating the need for JCL changes. The MDL Allocation Director also provides policies for scratch, multivolume, and unit-affinity requests to the MDL.
- The MDL Migration Manager automates and manages the migration of tape libraries via the MDLCOPY program to clone tapes to an MDL library. The MDL Migration Manager updates the MDL inventory automatically, ma king exact volume copies so that tape management system updates are not required.
- The MDL Load Balancer optimizes I/O performance and eliminates bottlenecks, hot spots, and inefficiencies that can occur when multiple MDL nodes are present. The MDL Load Balancer provides device selection algorithms that automatically allow mount requests to be spread across multiple nodes.
- The MDL Library Management Utility provides an interface to easily allow direct batch updates to virtual tapes in an MDL. The MDL Library Management Utility includes functions such as SCRATCH/UNSCRATCH, ERASE, DELETE, and others which operate directly on the MDL inventory.
“MDL Control Center was designed specifically to fill certain gaps in the overall process of a client’s setup and operation of an MDL (or DLm) sy stem.” said Bill Prinzivalli of DTS Marketing. “MCC will provide benefits to both existing users of MDL, as well as those who plan to implement one. And although each client may have a stronger need for certain components, we believe all clients will receive significant benefit from these features.”
MCC was designed to operate most efficiently with Virtuent 7, the latest release of MDL.
About DTS Software
DTS Software, Inc is recognized worldwide as a leader in enterprise storage management technology. Specializing in products for the z/OS, Hitachi VOS3, and Fujitsu MSP operating systems, DTS Software products provide superior function and features that allow managers and users to more effectively utilize their investment in storage systems. The company was founded in 1991 and currently has over 1000 customers in the US, Canada, Europe, and the Far East.
To learn more about DTS and its products: Please call 770-922-2444